Saturday, April 04, 2009

CASTING COMPETITION in Melbourne, FL
4/4/09
by Robin

Photobucket

Today, was the casting competition. Sadly, only 7 people signed up in our entire county. My friends' kids and my two boys. When her 3 eldest heard there was no competition for them, they dropped out. That left 4 very cute kids.

Photobucket

Most all the kids knew how to cast overhand (over the shoulder) but none of them knew how to do a underhand toss. First, they had to learn how to do that.

Photobucket

Then, the challenge was to make the spoon (minus a hook - see white arrow below) land into one of the three hoola-hoops in the pond. Points were given for "close by", hitting the ring but not going in and going in (1, 2, 3 pts, respectively).

Photobucket

We even had a young lady angler in our presence. This girl is great. She can cook, garden, fish, loves animals, shoot pictures and knit, all with a ball cap & curly ponytail. Gee,... she's like a mini-me (except I crochet, not knit).

Photobucket

Her little brother.... well, what's not to love about those blonde curls? Not to mention that he can cast and finished 2nd place.

Photobucket

"My" girl finished 3rd.

Here is a pic of the boy that not only was birthed by me & spitting image of his father, but made it in the hoop with an overhand cast. Yeah! He had a couple near-misses as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here's the group photo. Eddie is the County Extension Agt who headed up the competition. (Oh.. my youngest, in red, was 4th place but managed to weasel a 3rd place ribbon out of Mr. Eddie. I have no idea how he does that. I guess they felt guilty there were no Participation - green ribbons in the box.) My eldest got the 1st place blue, but they also handed him a Best in Division since he won over all age groups.
Photobucket

No comments: