Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stingray Kills Sunbathing Woman in Fla.

Published: 3/20/08, 1:46 PM EDT

MARATHON, Fla. (AP) - Officials say a woman died in the Florida Keys after a stingray jumped out of the water and struck her upper body.

The spotted eagle ray had hit the 55-year-old woman while she was in a boat Thursday. Officials say she was hit in the face or neck.

It's not clear whether the animal's barb struck the Michigan woman, or if the impact killed her.
Spotted eagle rays can grow up to 17 feet in length and weigh up to 500 pounds.
They are+ known to occasionally jump out of the water but are not aggressive.

UPDATE: http://news.aol.com/story/_a/stingray-leaps-onto-boat-kills-woman/20080320132409990001

My opinion: Wow!! I know they jump out of the water but I can't imagine how this thing killed her via barb. I'm curious to get more details on this story if anybody else hears more, please direct me to it. (Below, I have a YouTube video of jumping rays.)

Jack is outside wet-sanding on the boat. We had a rain delay in our project today.
Happy Fishing,
Robin

No comments: