Sunday, November 29, 2009

GOD HATES SHRIMP - NOT!!
brought to you by Robin

Jack actually made it offshore today, fishing with Mike & Helen on their boat. I stayed behind to sing up at church and then run home to be with my sick boys. I will update you on whatever they catch tomorrow (or Monday).

Meanwhile, I amuse myself with my free time by glancing over various fishing forums to see the fishing reports. I found this little gem that I wanted to link you to.


BUT.... before you go there, know this... I don't believe this. I just thought it was humorous that somebody had gone through such lengths to condemn shrimp. What's not humorous to me is the twisting of God's Word.

The Old Testament is a beautiful story book of those who had great faith, without seeing. Sometimes it is of those who lost their faith too. It is where the law is given to the Jews. However, (John 1:17) "the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." Jesus came to fulfill the law, so that we may be able to live under His grace.

Paul writes in 1 Tim 4:4 “For every creature of God is good and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.” I think that if your heart is thankful for the food that you've caught or purchased, that is more important. Secondly, shrimp probably wasn't something that could be preserved well in the OT times, so disease or dissentary may have been a cause of concern. With refrigeration now, that is not a problem for us in contemporary times.

More importantly, dietary laws were made to set apart the Jews from the gentiles. After Christ, the two people groups had to come together since they would become believers in Christ and partners in ministry work for further God's kingdom. In Acts 10, you will see a change from the dietary laws (v12) to (v13) "a voice [came] to him, 'Rise, Peter, kill and eat!'" The dietary laws are gone. He was freed to eat pork, beef and even shellfish. But, he was to do it with a thankful heart. This is also why we say grace before each meal. It slows us down to remember who gave us the food to eat, each day, each meal.

So, does God hate shrimp? I think not. He created them on day 5!! Does God hate us eating shrimp? Not if you're thankful to be eating some of those most delicious, scrumptious, dripping with butter, salt and lemon juice, heavenly shrimp like we do.

Whew!! My mouth is officially watering now onto the keyboard. You see, there's another reason to love Jesus besides saving my soul from hell. LOL

As for this "religious" group of radicals, 1 Tim 4:1 says, "Now the Spirit speaks expressly that in the last times some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils. Speaking lies in hypocrisy, having consciences seared with a hot iron."

I wish people like this would go spend their time more wisely - - like eating shrimp for dinner.

No comments: